On May 6, 2023, Canadians will celebrate the Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III and Her Majesty The Queen Consort alongside the United Kingdom and the rest of the Commonwealth. This historic event is the first coronation of a Canadian Head of State and Monarch in seven decades.
Canadians will have several options to watch and stream the Coronation live and on demand. Here’s how to watch the Coronation on CBC, BBC First and BritBox.
CBC’s Coverage of The Coronation of King Charles III
Coverage begins live at 4 a.m. ET on CBC TV, CBC News Network, CBC Gem, CBC Explore and the CBC News App.
CBC News’Chief Correspondent Adrienne Arsenault is in London as the coronation ceremony at Westminster Abbey unfolds and King Charles III is crowned. Special guests include former CBC London bureau chief Ann MacMillan, and historians Dan Snow and Peter Johnson.
Following the ceremony in London (at 10 a.m. ET), CBC News Chief Political Correspondent Rosemary Barton is live in Ottawa where celebrations continue with special tribute and artistic performances from a Canadian perspective.
Additional programming streaming on CBC Gem:
- Adrienne Arsenault Reports: Princess Ann – Princess Ann invites CBC News into her sitting room and opens up about her brother’s coronation, the monarchy’s future, and her grandchildren’s special connection to Canada.
- The Real Crown: Inside the House of Windsor – This five-part docuseries is the “gripping inside story” of the British Royal Family told only by the people who really know, from the former head of the British Army to Princess Margaret’s lady-in-waiting. The series spans over six decades of British history and includes behind-the-scenes revelations and intimate insights into the celebrations, tragedies, scandals, and scandals that made headlines around the world.
- CBC’s ‘The Royal Treatment Collection’ features The Royals Revealed, Charles: The New King, and Camilla Before Charles.
BBC First’s Coverage of the Coronation of King Charles III
Coverage begins at 2:30 a.m. ET on BBC First.
BBC First in Canada will broadcast BBC News’ coverage of the live coronation of Their Majesties the King and Queen Consort, covering all the ceremonial events as they unfold throughout the day, including the early military movements to the formal processions, and will give audiences a look at the ceremonial route from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Abbey.
Additional programming streaming on BBC First:
- The 1953 Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II (airing at 10 a.m. ET)
- The Queen starring Dame Helen Mirren (airing at 11 a.m. ET)
- Diana starring Noami Watts (airing at 1:30 p.m. ET)
- The six-part reality competition series The Prince’s Master Crafters: The Next Generation (airing at 4 p.m. ET)
BritBox’s Coverage of the Coronation of King Charles III
Live-stream coverage begins Saturday within the app and will be available across Canada, the U.S., Australia, South Africa, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and Finland.
Produced by ITV News, BritBox’s live coverage will begin with King Charles III: The Coronation and will be broadcast from Canada Gate, London, with the iconic Buckingham Palace balcony as the backdrop.
The program will be made available on demand following the live broadcast. There will also be special hour-long highlights show that will also be available soon after the Coronation concludes.
Additional programming streaming on BritBox:
- Arthur: A Life with the Royal Family, a documentary centred on British newspaper The Sun’s former Royal photographer, Arthur Edwards.
- Countdown to the Crown: The Who’s Who and What’s What of the Coronation
- Good Morning Britain’s Coronation coverage and special programming
- This Morning’s special Coronation programming filmed on the Coronation Street set
- EastEnders’ special Coronation episode (U.S. only; will air on Vision TV in about six months or so)