• The X-Files is back for its second installment “event series” (it’s overall 11th season) on Wednesday, Jan. 3, at 8 p.m. on Fox and CTV. The season premiere picks up after the last event series’ cliffhanger (from 2016), where Mulder (David Duchovny) and Scully (Gillian Anderson) learn that they aren’t the only ones desperately searching for their long-lost son, William. The very fate of the world may even depend on it.
• grow-ish, Freeform’s black-ish spinoff will premiere on ABC Spark in Canada beginning Wednesday, Jan. 3, at 8 p.m. with 2 episodes. Yara Shahidi’s Zoey Johnson transitions into adulthood as she heads off the college and not everything goes her way once she leaves the nest.
• Tower of Song: A Tribute to Leonard Cohen will finally air on the CBC this Wednesday, Jan. 3, from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. Taped on Nov. 6, at Montreal’s Bell Centre, the star-studded tribute concert honouring the late Leonard Cohen will feature renowned artists including Børns, Basia Bulat, Elvis Costello, Coeur de Pirate, Lands Del Rey, Feist, k.d. lang, Courtney Love, Damien Rice, Ron Sexsmith, Patrick Watson and Adam Cohen. The concert will also be available on the CBC app and CBC.ca/watch following the concert. Click here for more info.
• The sixth and final season of The Mindy Project finally gets to air in Canada. City will air back-to-back episodes Thursdays at 8 p.m. beginning Jan. 4. Click here for more.
• Caroline Dhavernas previews the second season of Mary Kills People, which premieres on Wednesday, Jan. 3, at 8 p.m. ET/PT on Global. Click here for the full interview.
Mid-Season/“Winter” Premieres: black-ish (Tuesday at 9 p.m on Fox; airs on Wed. on City), The Mick (Tuesday at 9:30 p.m. on Fox/City), Modern Family (Wednesday at 9 p.m. on ABC/City), Superstore (Thursday at 8 p.m. on NBC/Global), The Good Place (Thursday 8:30 p.m. on NBC/Global), Nashville (Thursday at 9 p.m. on W Network), Will & Grace (Thursday at 9 p.m. on NBC/Global), Great News (Thursday at 9:30 p.m. on NBC/Global), Star Trek: Discovery (Sunday at 8 p.m. on Space).
Over on Netflix: Lovesick’s third season begins streaming on Monday (Jan. 1).
Also… Discover the intensity behind emergency calls on Fox’s new show 9-1-1 (also airs on CTV beginning Jan. 3 at 9 p.m.). Angela Bassett, Peter Krause and Connie Britton star as the team of workers who deal with the 911 calls.
Don’t Miss… The 75th Annual Golden Globes airs this Sunday (Jan. 7) at 8 p.m. on NBC and CTV. It’ll be hosted by Seth Meyers.